Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

Get some food-grade poly drums and set them up to catch
the rainwater from the downspouts on your house.

Why would food grade drums be necessary for catching rain water
running off a non food grade roof... to do what... pour on the non
food grade ground. Am I missing something, or why wouldn't an
ordinary plastic trash can be suitable?

You can buy low quality for like $10-$15 but they will decay from UV
exposure and probably crack from freezing temps.

I have two of these, excellent quality: http://tinyurl.com/79bqf

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...994-1097-8632-
92/20&lpage=none

We use those barrels to catch potable water at our cabins. If you set
them so the first rain of the season doesn't go into the barrel, the
dust gets washed off roof.

A plastic garbage can degrades from UV a lot faster than a poly drum.
And you have to pay for a garbage can. We get our poly drums for free.

Jan