Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 17:22:07 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Casu Marzu, no doubt;-)

Ugh. I'll pass.
There are some raw things even _I_ won't eat. I'll draw the line at
maggots. g

I do enjoy Sashimi and raw beef but will not eat raw pork or chicken.
The texture leaves much to be desired for one thing.

My son turned me onto raw, thinly sliced beef. It is really good.

A couple years ago I stupidly ate a few raw shrimp, without even
thinking about the consequences. Vibrio, for one! Nothing ended up
happening, but it was one the best tasting meats I have eaten.

It is good, but I prefer it minimally cooked. When I cook shrimp, I do
it in a very hot pan with butter and olive oil with garlic, dill weed
and lemon pepper (salt free). Toss it around in the pan until it just
turns pink.

I like raw octopus and tuna, but not squid. Squid gotta be braised or
deep fried. ;-d

You are right, rare beef is the best!! Sear that baby over really,
really hot and crust the outside.......wow. Philly style. When Dad
died, I inherited his Big Green Egg. I get that baby up to about 750F
and give thick steaks about two mins on each side then slam the vents
shut for another couple. Orgasmic.

lol I know what you mean! Did you see my jpeg?

I can eat most veggies raw or cooked. OB gardening, I really need to
consider putting in more chard. I love the stuff! I'm also thinking
about picking up some beets from the grocery store just to grow the
greens. Dad loves beets but I cannot stand them. I love the greens
only. ;-d I've noted a trend at the stores now where they've quit
chopping off the greens. For awhile there, you could not get beets with
the leaves.

Chard is wunnerful stuff and you get a *lot* from the plants. We
freeze like spinach, the extra.

It also grows forever!

You probably don't like pickled beets either. Shame....after you eat
'em you can throw in hardboiled eggs and in a couple
weeks.......mmmmmmmm.

I've made pickled eggs using beet juice from the cans and pickle juice
from the jars I buy at the grocery store. :-) That's a way to cheat
making your own cucumber or okra pickles. Get the brand of pickles you
like from the store, (I like Claussens), eat the pickles and save the
commercial juice for pickling! I keep it in the 'frige.

Hmmm.......just a suggestion....we started growing Chioggia beets, look
like a red and white bullseye. The tops are excellant and the root is
different from red beets. Cooks nearly white and is rather sweet and
lacks that typical beet earthyness, IMO. I've had them shaved in
salads and they are good raw....again, IMO. ;-)

Hm. I'll have to look for that! I like to steam radishes in stews and
cooked veggie mixes, greens and all.

I've not seen carrot greens in ages. I like to feed fresh greens to
Freya, my Goffin's Cockatoo.
--

I've been reading recently about eating all sorts of greens, and it
seems that most overthing we eat main crop, the leaves are edible too.

Yes they are! See above for radish greens. :-) Those are tossed by most
people.

I never even though about eating the rest of the plant, of say broccoli
and carrots and radishes. Michael Pollan started me thinking down this
path.

Oh gods. Both Broccoli and Cauliflower greens are GOOD! I always add
them to the steaming mix. ;-d But, I do love greens. Never tried
eating carrot tops, just fed them to the bird. I imagine, if nothing
else, they'd be good for stock. They have a rather intense flavor. I
always use celery leaves as well, and I freeze the tough asparagus stems
to use in stock.

Good eats, and too many words ;-)
Charlie

Indeed! :-) I finally started saving a LOT more trimmings in the
freezer for stock. I've been amazed at the difference that "garbage" has
made in the intensity of my stock flavor. I use stock mostly for making
rice. I never cook rice in just water.

I've got some beef rib bones from a local BBQ place that I go to
occasionally. I'll be using that smoky beef stock to make lentils.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson