Old 07-05-2008, 09:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default rotation in the garden

"0tterbot" wrote in message
have realised what my problem is re rotating the garden beds in an
organised manner:

I try to do at least a two year rotation, but in my garden, my sloppiness
doesn't seem to have had any ill effects. I have read somewhere that if you
garden organically, it isn't vital to rotate, but who the hell knows if that
is true.

In our case we only have 3 areas whihc I would call 'beds' and then there is
all the side stuff and permanent beds and areas still being brought into
good heart before they become beds. The tomatoes start in the bed at the
bottom of the hill and then over subsequent years move to the next bed up
the hill and then start at the bottom of the hill in the lowest bed again.
Same with corn. The poor old spuds have got a permanent bed and so far no
problems. The reason why it's permanent is that we can never harvest them
all and then when they come up, it tends to be a busy time, we don't get tot
hem and by the time we do get to them to actually do soemthing with their
area, we don't have the heart to dig them up. Will have to do something
there soon though.