Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default rotation in the garden

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

have realised what my problem is re rotating the garden beds in an organised
manner:

1: lots of brassicas. i seem to grow half brassicas & half other stuff!!
(only slight exaggeration). this makes rotation difficult! in summer, lots
of solanacae (sp!) as well, of course, which have to be somewhere different
each season.

You've omitted the legumes, the other big vegie garden family. If you follow
your brassicas with solanaceae and then with legumes, you have a rotation.

2: not everything comes out at the same time - the garden goes all year.
(how is one to rotate in this circumstance?!) i try to keep a record & then
consider what was in each section of each bed - the entire bed isn't taken
as a whole because they're quite long, with perhaps up to 10 different
things along the length - and only in the same family if it's worked out
that way. if it hasn't worked out that way, i can't do it.

in a nutshell, if i rotate as best i can but still grow lots of brassica, am
i setting myself up for a disease disaster? i simply cannot think how to
plan good rotations under this circumstance. with the brassica i take out
the entire roots, so each location gets a rest - is that enough?

I have a similar problem in that I'm not organised enough to do proper
rotations. OTOH I plant mixtures of crops, which tend to minimise pest
problems.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/