Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Fodder - note the cross post

"Bill" wrote in message
Thought of you folks. Looking about the only fodder plant I have is
comfey. Our oaks are a natural source of acorns too.

These folks look like they have done a lot of work in this area.

http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/publications/des_ch5.pdf

I've seen one farm where extensive tree/shrub plants has been done for both
fodder and stock shelter. It went from being a lunar like landscape where
every wind blew away top soil, to now being a lush, well protected and
fertile farm where the animals are in great condition and where stocking
rates have gone up as ground area was lost to plantings. Absolutley
inspirational as just over the fence in the neighbouring paddocks still look
like a lunar landscape.