Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Growing Trees

"Luke" blah@blah wrote in message
Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are
quick growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

Cheers
Luke

I have found wattles are good but fairly short lived (8 years). Acacia
mearnsii, A. decurrens A. melanoxylon and A. dealbata will see you out
though.

But before going the native route I recommend you read a book called "Back
from the brink" by Peter Andrews which is printed by ABC print. It is more
on trees that build up soil fertility over time which sadly Dry Temperate
Australian Natives fail to do.

Cheers

Richard