Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default rotation in the garden

"0tterbot" wrote in message
have realised what my problem is re rotating the garden beds in an
organised manner:

I try to do at least a two year rotation, but in my garden, my sloppiness
doesn't seem to have had any ill effects. I have read somewhere that if
you garden organically, it isn't vital to rotate, but who the hell knows
if that is true.

maybe not AS vital? i'm sure a good rotation would be better, but unsure how
to introduce it now (especially with the brassica preponderance).

it does sound logical that if i keep adding as much poo & mulch (& now
compost as it is really getting going in bulk now!!) that the effects of
being a bit slack & disorganised will be somewhat ameliorated :-)

In our case we only have 3 areas whihc I would call 'beds' and then there
is all the side stuff and permanent beds and areas still being brought
into good heart before they become beds. The tomatoes start in the bed at
the bottom of the hill and then over subsequent years move to the next bed
up the hill and then start at the bottom of the hill in the lowest bed
again. Same with corn. The poor old spuds have got a permanent bed and so
far no problems. The reason why it's permanent is that we can never
harvest them all and then when they come up, it tends to be a busy time,
we don't get tot hem and by the time we do get to them to actually do
soemthing with their area, we don't have the heart to dig them up. Will
have to do something there soon though.

i have that live-&-let-live attitude to the potatoes as well. which, because
i'm _trying_ to rotate them, seems to mean random potato plants everywhere.
errr!!!!
thanks for the encouragement.
kylie