Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default rotation in the garden

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

have realised what my problem is re rotating the garden beds in an
organised
manner:

1: lots of brassicas. i seem to grow half brassicas & half other stuff!!
(only slight exaggeration). this makes rotation difficult! in summer,
lots
of solanacae (sp!) as well, of course, which have to be somewhere
different
each season.

You've omitted the legumes, the other big vegie garden family. If you
follow
your brassicas with solanaceae and then with legumes, you have a rotation.

it's not that i've omitted them, but rather that they don't feature in my
problem :-) i'm happy to put them whereever because i'm not concerned about
pest/disease build-up with them. (i'm not addressing _all_ the rotation
issues here, just the question of pest/disease problems from brassica being
everywhere, mainly.)

I have a similar problem in that I'm not organised enough to do proper
rotations. OTOH I plant mixtures of crops, which tend to minimise pest
problems.

sort of sounds like my "method" so far. :-)

probably setting myself up for a bumper cabbage white moth & butterfly crop
next year due to the carry-over. (???) i read recently that part of the
reason loquats went out of fashion in gardens is because they can give fruit
fly a way to be present & breeding already (the earliest spring fruit) when
the other fruits are starting to be ready & you can thus never break the
cycle. not sure about this - we had no fruit fly last year until well into
the season, despite the loquat tree, but i can see how that might happen if
you don't have lots of enthusiastic possums to eat all the loquat in record
time before you get to them yourself ;-)
kylie