Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Growing Trees

"Luke" blah@blah wrote in message
Hi,

I'm about to join Trees For Life so that I can grow some trees for my in
laws 5 acre property in Mannum , South Australia. I've been given a
reasonable sized list of trees to choose from

is it a list of trees that grow well locally, or some other list?

you really are best off going with trees that grow well in the area. you'll
save yourself a lot of pain.

and am now pondering what to
choose. Alot of the trees are Mallee's and I was under the impression that
these grew relatively slowly compared to other trees. Anyone here know if
the mallees are a slow growing tree? What Australian native trees are
quick growers and have a height of at least 3-4m?

i'm pretty vague on trees in general, but the most astonishing tree at my
place for growing quickly and spreading with gay abandon is the black
wattle. it's incredible.

having said that, it might not go well where you are (although i believe
it's rather adaptable). at my place, the only thing stopping it from being a
weed is the necessity of firewood!!

that's not really a recommendation though. :-)

consult a good local nursery or govt tree whatnot (whatever they are
called). in _every_ area there are trees which grow well & naturalise
easily - the trees that were there prior to clearing.
kylie