Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Shiva

Default Getting Rid of Thrips

Tim Tompkins wrote:[...]

Thanks for a thoughtful and concise answer, Tim. I will try the Cygon in a
small spray bottle when the thrips first appear. By the way, Orthenex and
Immunox plus now contain a miticide, and Cygon's (I think it is
technically Cygon II)label says that it does too.

Please keep in mind that there are MANY beneficial insects that are also
killed by the broad spectrum insecticides. I prefer NOT to douse the
garden as it eliminated the beneficial.

Perhaps you can help me understand how you are using the term "broad
spectrum." I like to use liquid (i.e., not granular) SYSTEMIC insecticide,
which in my understanding kills only insects that bite or suck the juices
of the roses. The opposite, sometimes referred to as CONTACT insecticides
apparently kill any insect that comes into contact with it. If I use the
former, and not the latter, I do not expect to kill beneficials, because
by definition, beneficials do not chew, pierce, suck on, or otherwise
bother the plants. In my experience, this works fairly well, since I still
have ladybugs and many other types of insects in my garden. I
understand "broad spectrum" to mean killing a wide variety of insects. Do
you make no distinction between systemic and contact insecticides? Thank
you.