Old 17-05-2008, 04:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
MICHELLE H. MICHELLE H. is offline

Default Push Lawnmower Repair Question??? HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, and hoping that somebody can help me out ASAP???
I have a 2 year old Sears Craftsman 3-in-1 ( side
discharge/mulching/bagging ) push lawnmower.

Last summer I noticed that the lawnmower started leaking gasoline
through the air filter, when I would turn the mower on its side, to
clean the underneath, after mowing my lawn.

Anyway, I took the lawnmower to Sears, because it was still under a 2
year factory warranty, and told them of the problem.

After a few weeks, they got back to me, and told me that the reason it
was leaking gas through the air filter was because I "must have run over
something, because the crankshaft was bent".

They told me that I would have to pay $160 dollars, because a crankshaft
is NOT part of the 2 year factory warranty!?

Anyway, I went to Google and Yahoo and did a search on bent crankshafts,
and I DIDN'T see not even ONE thing that stated that a "bent crankshaft"
will cause gas to leaking through the air filter???

I saw a bunch of stuff that said that when gas leaks through the air
filter, its usually a carberator problem with the float and needle being
stuck???

So, what I would like to know, is Sears ripping me off $160 bucks??? I
did read that it is possible for oil to leak out of the lawnmower from a
"bent crankshaft", but will a "bent crankshaft" cause GAS to leak out
through the air filter???

Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!