Old 18-05-2008, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Push Lawnmower Repair Question??? HELP!!!

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, and hoping that somebody can help me out ASAP???
I have a 2 year old Sears Craftsman 3-in-1 ( side
discharge/mulching/bagging ) push lawnmower.

Last summer I noticed that the lawnmower started leaking gasoline
through the air filter, when I would turn the mower on its side, to
clean the underneath, after mowing my lawn.

Anyway, I took the lawnmower to Sears, because it was still under a 2
year factory warranty, and told them of the problem.

After a few weeks, they got back to me, and told me that the reason it
was leaking gas through the air filter was because I "must have run over
something, because the crankshaft was bent".

They told me that I would have to pay $160 dollars, because a crankshaft
is NOT part of the 2 year factory warranty!?

Anyway, I went to Google and Yahoo and did a search on bent crankshafts,
and I DIDN'T see not even ONE thing that stated that a "bent crankshaft"
will cause gas to leaking through the air filter???

I saw a bunch of stuff that said that when gas leaks through the air
filter, its usually a carberator problem with the float and needle being
stuck???

So, what I would like to know, is Sears ripping me off $160 bucks??? I
did read that it is possible for oil to leak out of the lawnmower from a
"bent crankshaft", but will a "bent crankshaft" cause GAS to leak out
through the air filter???

Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!

First off, the gasoline through the air filter washed out the oil that's
supposed to be in it. That needs correction. See the mower's manual.

The tank side up on side, washing done quickly, can usually suffice in most
cases. If unable, purchase or make a ramp of low incline putting
chocks/stops in front of the front wheels. Back side of lawnmower will be
high. Remove spark plug wire while washing. Replace when dry.

Lawnmower crankshafts seldom bend. More likely, torque twisted by hitting
an immovable object with blade, or, run up the engine housing. Neither will
strictly make the gas go out the air filter as you seem to indicate. I
worked at a Sears lawnmower maintenance center many decades ago. It was an
assembly line of simple maintenance. The more difficult stuff was mostly
misdiagnosis and overkill to cover their butts. Apparently, that has not
changed.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.