Old 18-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Crazy Rasberry Ants

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

If they eat fireants, they are WELCOME here!
Somebody ship me a colony, quick. ;-)

We can't grow raspberries here anyway. The climate is wrong.

Careful what you wish for....they're named rasberry because of the guy
who discovered them. Apparently they are a mucho prolific species and
can multiply beyond the ability to control them even with pretty deadly
pesticides. The Rasberry guy is a pest control operator and he thinks
they are bad news for his business since their resistance to control
leave his customers unsatisfied. He goes on to say he probably loses
money on every job in order to attempt to satisfy his clients.

Chase down some info on the web if you want to know more. Heck, they
even take down computers according to an article in Information Week!

http://tinyurl.com/6ftvwn

Yeah, I saw that when I read up on them.

Thing is, fire ants do THE SAME THING, even building nests in computers,
and electrical boxes.

But fire ants destroy wildlife and damage humans too.

If I had a choice between the two, at least the Rasberry ants don't hurt
so much, or kill like fire ants do.

The lesser of two evils. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein