Old 05-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default What's the best facing for a garden?

The message
from "smeckler" contains these words:

I'm considering becoming a first-time buyer. I notice estate agents always
seem to consider 'South facing' to be a highly desirable feature in their
ads. Isn't East/West facing preferable, so that down the full length of
your garden you get South facing borders?

What's more significant, is the inclination of the site and the
distance and height from other buildings, which determine how much sun
reaches your garden and at what angle. A garden could be "southfacing",
but if it faced tall trees and had high buildings either side, there
might be very little sun in it. On the other hand, a garden that faces
north but has no high obstructions to the east or west, may be sunny all
day long.

Our first house was "southfacing", but as the front door opened
straight onto the street,the garden at the back wasn't. So don't be too
influenced by estate agent descriptions. It's well worth driving to look
at the outside and surrounds of a house, **and its neighbourhood**,
before you make an appointment to view.

When you go to view, take a compass, and also note of signs of
continual shade (moss, green film on paint/fences/paving; shade loving
plants) and sun (bleached wood or blistered paint, sun-loving
plants).Ask the owner where they sit in the garden to enjoy the sun, and
where they sit for shade.

Janet.