Old 19-05-2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default DIY Floating Fountain ideas

Chip" wrote in message ...
Bill Stock wrote:

The cheap floating variety:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod..._Fountain.html

The lake sized version:

http://pondfountain.com/

I'd like something in the middle, with a bubbler nozzle I think.

The big one has a 1/2HP or 1HP motor! Kricky!

Yeah, I've seen them advertised at 5HP+. I'm looking at more like 1200 gph,
which is probably soemthing like 1/8 HP at most.

OK, the top may float but the bottom is sure tied to a power line so can't
move all that much. What's the diff, if you put a 1/2HP anywhere, out or in
the pond, and run 1" PVC along the bottom and then up to the top platform.
It wouldn't look any different because the big one has a pipe running up to
the top anyway.

I was originally thinking of letting the pump sit on the bottom as you
suggest, since a much smaller float would be required. The one big reason I
can see for not doing this would be the clog factor and the risk of emptying
the pond. I guess I've got another use for the milk crates discussed last
year. Most of the platforms I've seen have small weight(s) that sit on the
bottom to hold the flloat in place. Since I have much less tolerance for
error I need a better anchoring solution. I'm thinking of using a couple of
eye hooks and some string to anchor the float to the side of the pond.

I picked up some lighting fairly reasonable, so if it's too tacky I'll add
it to my pile of 'good ideas at the time'.

http://www.wholesalepumps.com/Produc...DID=79&PID=921

..