Old 21-05-2008, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Bacteria & Physan

Gene,

There is no telling whether your problem is the same as what I experienced.
But I'll tell you what it looked like.

It varied. Some of the Phals developed a thin, bright yellow line around the
edges of the leaves. Shortly after that, they started to turn yellow in some
cases, black in others. Some leaves turned bright yellow and retained a
green edge. All turned to mush eventually, a sure sign of bacterial rot. A
few plants had pitted spots on top and bottom of the leaves. In my case, I
think (and it's only a semi-educated guess) that I had a spider mite
infestation and that the damage from those allowed bacteria to permeate the
plants.

This all happened in a nanosecond. One day the plants looked fine, and the
next - literally - they were sick. I was fortunate and scored a little bit
of Ridamil, but it was too late. The stems were rotted. In retrospect, had I
tossed the plants that looked bad initially, I would have lost less. But who
knew? I'd never seen anything like it, and though I got excellent advice
here, no one was really sure what it was.

I don't mean to alarm you. But I do think that it would be prudent to get
those plants away from all others asap.

Diana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Ray & Diana,

Yes, Ray you are the expert in our eyes when you know more or have more
access to the info I need. I will increase the dosage to 2 tsp/gal.
Thanks for the info.

Diana, does this start as a green getting lighter on the top of the
leaves to turning black. Some of the species (gigantea, violacea) the
area turned a bright yellow. New leaves seem to be emerging without any
problem.

I'll look up Clearys since I've never used it.

Thanks,
Gene