Old 22-05-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

I planted a number of seeds a couple of weeks ago but I don't see any
signs of life yet. I planted the following,

Silver Queen Corn
Peas (soaked the seeds overnight before planting, they looked like they
were sprouting when I planted them).
Beans (same as peas)
Cucumbers
Carrots

Carrots are known for their tardiness. Do you have any idea of your soil
temperature? Peas should be showing up soon.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde
Crops that will germinate in the coolest soils (down to 40 degrees)
include arugula, fava beans, kale, lettuce, pac choi, parsnips, peas,
radicchio, radish and spinach seed.

With a soil temperature above 50 degrees, Chinese cabbage, leeks,
onions, Swiss chard, and turnips can be planted.

When the soil warms to 60 degrees, warm season and many cool season
vegetables can be sown, including beans, beets, broccoli, Brussels
sprouts, cabbage, carrots and cauliflower. But be forewarned – beans
will not tolerate any frost and may have to be planted again if the
temperature goes below freezing.

Wait until the soil warms to above 70 degrees to plant warm season
vegetables including tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers, squash,
corn and melons. Tomatoes, eggplants and peppers are slow-growing and
take many weeks to grow to the stage where you can plant them out in the
garden, so you might want to purchase these as starts from your local
garden center. On the other hand, squash, cucumbers and corn grow
quickly and are easier to start from seed.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c.../soiltemp.html
Planting too early, before the soil has had time to warm up, can lead to
seed rot, slowed germination, poor growth and disease. Setting pepper
plants out before the soil temperature is 70 degrees F could stunt their
growth for the entire growing season.
Spinach

The only thing that looks like it's coming up is the spinach. There are
some grass like plants in a thin line where I planted the spinach so I
assume that's my plants and not grass.

I have set up an automatic sprinkling system that waters the gardens for
10 minutes before dawn and 10 minutes after sunset.

My tomato and strawberry plants (planted from flats not seeds) are doing
fine with the exception of a couple of rows that appear to have been
eaten by somebody.

Did I plant to early? I'm in Massachusetts near Nashua and Lowell.

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars