Old 22-05-2008, 05:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Crazy Rasberry Ants

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Better than fire ants... The fire ants are wiping out ground nesting
birds such as meadowlark and bobwhite quail.

The rasberry's are taking out the fire ants so I'm kinda guessing they
are not particularly benign ;-)

The species they say is related in South America may kill animals by
clogging their breathing passages.........not a good visual.

Too many of any species is not a good thing.

While I see what you mean, the bloody fire ants are already out of hand.

I used to do wildlife rescue.

Fire ant fawns are not pretty...

Ants in general do the cleanup duty of carcasses in drier areas of the
country. I have seen carrion eating birds jumping wildly near some not so
fresh carcasses, then flying away. A closer inspection I saw fireants.

The fire ants KILL fawns, not clean them up after they die on their own.

I was talking about trying to save one still living that has several
thousand stings. :-(

I tend to thing there is some relationship between the very obvious decline
of harvester ants, and the fireant population. I do not see any horned
toads any longer.
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-5314.html

There may be similar implications with another species of ant roaming the
local area.

Yeah, but at least you can let the rasberry ants crawl on you.
I'd not try that with fire ants...

It all comes down to the lesser of two evils, kinda like Presidential
candidates. g
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein