Old 24-05-2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
bungadora bungadora is offline

Default Identify and kill "wild rhubarb?"

On May 24, 12:14*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*bungadora wrote:
On May 23, 9:22*pm, "Kevin Cherkauer" wrote:

Burdock is not edible.

In theory the leaves and roots are supposed to be edible and packed
with vitamins. Burdocks were originally brought to North America as
food plants according to one of my references (Edible & medicinal
plants of the rockies by Linda Kershaw, Lone Pine Publishing).
Apparently the root is quite sought after in Japan. They're also
supposed to be good for whatever ails you.

A reference:http://www.herballegacy.com/Light_Medicinal.html

In practice I'm a little sceptical about how they taste. *It's sort of
like how people describe certain meats as 'tasting like chicken'. *All
weird roots are all supposed to taste like parsnip, and greens like
spinach. *They don't. Most of them taste like crap. But they're
supposed to be good for you and quite nutritious - handy to know in
case you're ever starving.
Dora

For another take, look athttp://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Arctium+lappa
--

And I found a pickle recipe for the roots,

http://www.natureskills.com/burdock_root_pickles.html

Dora