Old 28-05-2008, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Gardeners World presenter?

On 2008-05-27 10:02:14 +0100, "JennyC" said:

"endymion" wrote
Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I
suspect thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I tape it and zap through all the boring (to me) bits :~)

I love Carol Klein - in small doses. She'd be a nightmare as presenter
Dairmund is out
Joe is too bouncy
The Cockney bloke is fun but not for 30 minutes

Not many possibilities as far as I can see, unless there is some
unknown out there who would surprise us all !

Unlike some here, I thought that Joe Swift did well on the Chelsea
programmes - he slotted quite comfortably into the new comedy duo and
showed a new side which suggests he might make a good presenter if he
can be encouraged to lose his straitjacket. Lack of knowledge in some
areas is inevitable: the gaps in Monty's knowledge were wider than most
-- but he is an excellent presenter with an excellent voice.

That said, I'm also a huge fan of Christine Walkden and hope that the
BBC gives her a chance. I would watch her every programme.

I'm also a big fan of Carol Klein, who caresses plants like no other
and probably knows more about them than anyone else save Roy Lancaster.
But I think she struggles a bit on the presentation front so wouldn't
be the best choice to succeed Monty (who I saw at Chelsea on Monday
looking as pale and interesting as he always has).

Some to avoid at all costs imho: the incomprehensible Diarmuid Gavin;
the strait-laced and rather dull Rachel de Thame; the humourless
lecturer, Chris Beardshaw; and the grating cheeky chappy, Chris Collins.

It's possible that Alan Titchmarsh might want to return. Other
outsiders include the extremely good Sarah Raven, the engaging Andy
Sturgeon and, at 10,000-1, David Domoney from ITV.