Old 30-05-2008, 01:23 AM
tony w tony w is offline
Registered User

Default New house, have seeded the garden but very patchy

Hi All, Hope you can help me here, we have just purchased a new-build and as such have taken the onerous task of seeding the garden. It had a 4" deep topsoil layer, so we levelled out as best we could, broke the hard topsoil down into a decent surface, rolled it and then added the requisite amount of feed, before laying grass seed down.

2 weeks later, we find that the shoots are not coming through as we had hoped, with patchy areas all over, and 'pools' of decent clumps here and there. I don't think that more shoots are going to appear, so we are stuck with large areas with 2" or so between shoots and seed that hasn't germinated.

I want to give a go at applying extra seed, but do not have a clue as to how to go about this. I am a beginner, so would very much appreciate it if someone could give me a step-by-step 'how to' in adding extra seed.

The weather is fairly warm at the moment (Czech Republic) but I do have plenty of water, but would need suggestions as to how often to water the areas, what to do to prepare the existing patchy areas, whether to use more feed (and when), etc, etc.

Here's hoping for some creative responses! :-)