Old 30-05-2008, 03:58 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind'n'stone View Post
I have a climbing rose over an arch in our newly aquired garden, think it might be 'high hopes'??

It is very leggy and does not look very happy. I understand from neighbour it is about 5 years old. Any ideas how to help it along - I'm a total rose novice - never had/grown before.

Soil verges on acid. Windy site. 18" soil then rock.
Roses like lots of food and a neutral soil, and prefer clay to light soil.

Feed it with a rose food, mulch strongly with rotted manure, foliar feed, and remove dead roses. Investigate pruning it in the spring.