Old 06-04-2003, 11:45 AM
bnd777

Default What's the best facing for a garden?

True had forgotten the effect of High Hedges etc on an East West Garden
,,,,,,,,should have known better given the neighbours monsters on our border

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , smeckler without_spam_sm
writes
I'm considering becoming a first-time buyer. I notice estate agents

always
seem to consider 'South facing' to be a highly desirable feature in their
ads. Isn't East/West facing preferable, so that down the full length of
your garden you get South facing borders?

No, because if your neighbour has high bushes they'll shade the whole of
your garden, whereas if the end of a long garden is south, the shadow
only comes half way up ;-)

The estate agents are probably more interested in the aspect of the
house - houses, especially older one, tend to have more window at front
and back than at sides (this tendency is particularly marked in terraces
;-) ) - south facing garden means sun in the house. North facing garden
means sun in through front windows, but they may well have net curtains,
and the family may spend more time in the rooms at the back rather than
the noisier rooms on the street side, and the kitchen is almost always
at the back, and a north facing kitchen feels particularly dismal.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: