Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default New house, have seeded the garden but very patchy

On Jun 1, 9:33*pm, "Mark Jones" wrote:
tony w wrote:
Well, I re-seeded the lawn yesterday, did it properly, added some
compost as a light overlay, and the heavens opened this evening and
washed most of the seed away! I now have nice little 'battle lines' of
compost at various stages on the back garden, and am not hopeful that
much of the seed will sprout.

All that hard work for nothing...... and it was looking pretty good,
kept it all wet, now I don't know when I can start again as storms are
forecast for pretty much the whole of the next week......

Been there, done that. My sister has been helping me clean up
my yard and the last seed that was put down was followed by
very heavy rains within about 6 hours. Looks like 75% of the
seed was washed away based upon what came up.

One thing that works well to cover new seed is peat moss.
It will stay wet for quite awhile, so you do not have to
water constantly.

yeah, you can't do a good job reseeding in the hot weather. all the
grass wants is to go dormant. wait until fall. give it time to get
established in the fall for the winter, then it will establish itself
some more in the spring before summer comes.
also, consider what grass seed you have; most grass seed is a mix of
different species; some species, particularly bluegrass, are
"spreading", i.e. they will send rhizomes into those bare areas and
colonize them, assuming the conditions are otherwise to their liking
(sunny, no salt in the winter). which is one reason they're in that
grass seed mix.