Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Bulbo.lobbii

Great picture, Tennis, and thanks for the info.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
news:6OCdnYVCrvv_ZNTVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Got this as a small seedling a couple years ago; it has two more
single-flowered spikes coming. I have always liked lobbii and this one
is no exception. Large flowers on smallish plants, more of a sweet smell
than other bulbos, but still with a hint of foulness in the background.
I have been trying to add one of those pinkish ones I see pics of to my
collection but never seem to be able to find one.

I keep the bulbos up high in the GH for more light and greater warmth in
the winter. Fortunately I can get a good look at them anytime by looking
out the dining room window which overlooks the bulbo shelf attached to
the outside wall just below the sill. Or of course I can get up on the
inverted bucket I use as a step in the GH to get me up to the hanging
plants and the upper shelves - bulbos on one side of the door, oncids
and catasetinae on the other.

I have just repotted all 70 or so bulbos in a mix of smallish chc and
spongeroc. I felt they were staying much too wet too long in their
promix-based mix, now that they'r ein a GH with more humidity than I had
in the grow-rooms. I'm hoping the new mix will still keep them moist but
allow for better drainage and more air. I'm also trying a few seedlings
in semi-hydro. Most bulbos aren't good candidates for it as they can be
very rangy plants, but things like lobbii and echinolabium and such stay
relatively compact and are better candidates.