Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Default When should I mow new turf?

A mower with a high lift blade(s) that gather the cuttings in a bag will
create vacuum. However, it doesn't take vacuum to lift sod that isn't well
rooted. All it takes is the cutting action through the blades of grass at a
corner of the sod piece to pull the corner up into the blades, the blades
will take over from there and shred the sod spewing dirt, roots and grass
out the side.

How do I know? The town sodded the sides of my driveway when then changed a
culvert, after a few weeks I ran my mower over the sod and ripped out a
couple of pieces. Made a mess and the town doesn't come back to replace it.

"Art" wrote in message

EXT wrote:
Check if the sod/turf pieces are rooted down, if they are not solidly
rooted, the mower will lift and shred the sod.

Just what kind of mower has that much vacuum?

--
Art