Old 06-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Roy

Default Caterpillars on Hollyhocks

Hi Kay
I am sorry I didnt mean I had THOSE caterpillars just an infestation of some
sort that I thought would be dealt with naturally (i do not use chemicals of
any sort).But in this instance were not and completely devastated the
plants.
I have not had this happen before or since.
Roy
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article .hx,
Kostas Kavoussanakis writes
Hi,

I was wondering why the new leaves of my giant hollyhocks were full of
holes. I just noticed large (5cm) gray, green and brown caterpillars
on them. Any idea what they are?

Mallow skipper Carcharodus alceae '..up to 23mm, fairly stout ... body
greyish green, tinged with blue; collar behind head conspicuous, banded
with black and yellow; spiracles (breathing holes in skin) yellow with
black rims; head large, black' 'caterpillars live in shelters
constructed from spun, folded leaves'
Larentia clavaria '.. up to 32 mm; green, sometimes yellowish betwen
segments, with whitish dots and black spiracles; a brown or pinkish line
extends down the middle of the back and a dark line along each side;
head whitish with grey-green markings' 'When the caterpillars are
disturbed, they drop to the ground, curled up to resemble mallow seeds'
(1)
Moths from both are smallish mottled brown things.

Should I leave them to continue their
deeds or will even the hollyhocks eventually succumb?

Possibly. Caterpillars have big appetites. Can you find some mallow
plants nearby to transfer them to?

I have never
seen the hollyhocks flower (seedlings transplanted last September;
leaves then munched away by earwigs).

I also noticed small black balls on the same leaves; poo or eggs? Or
just "dirt"?

Poo

(1)carter and Hargeaves: A Field Guide to caterpillars of Butterflies
and Moths in britain and Europe, pub Collins.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: