Old 13-06-2008, 02:24 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Pauline Leveille Pauline Leveille is offline

Default Seeing more ticks this years..

wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:00:27 -0400 in
Philip
Semanchuk wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Here are two quick RESEARCH-BACKED alternatives a quick Google turned
up:

I also have used catnip oil as a DEET alternative for mosquitoes, in
the New Jersey swamps on the Appalachian Trail. If it worked then, it
will work anywhere.
Again, this is research-based:

Catnip Repels Mosquitoes More Effectively Than DEET
Why catnip repels mosquitoes is still a mystery, says Peterson. ...
repellents was submitted last year by the Iowa State University
Research Foundation. ...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0828075659.htm

Interesting, I'd not heard that before. I rarely use DEET and have
suffered some itchy times as a result. I'd love to try an alternative.
Here's a recipe for making your own catnip-based mosquito repellent:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgard...ovejoy10.shtml

Thanks

/me off to the Farmer's Market for a catnip plant

I have several growing out of the walk to my front porch (Herb garden
is next to the walk, and the catnip went to seed last year).

Those who grow catnip plants - do you get a lot of stray cats in your yard?
Wasn't sure how attractive the plant itself was vs when it's dried and put
into a cat toy :-)

Thanks! Pauline