Old 17-06-2008, 12:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
nightrider.36 nightrider.36 is offline

Default Getting rid of a mole

I thought about something similar but I was afraid that I'd end like
the guy in Germany. SWMBO would have made me disassemble it as well.

On Jun 15, 11:40*am, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
nightrider.36 wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:25 pm, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
nightrider.36 wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:34 am, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried
one of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested used
kitty litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the cat urine
scares moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I subject myself to
a litter box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.
I had a serious problem with these monsters and tried everything from
"green" solutions or noxious chemicals--nothing worked. *What finally
worked--now this is barbaric but it worked--CATS! I had two indoor
cats that were accidentally demoted to outdoor cats because they were
peeing on everything--long story. *After about a week or two later, I
started seeing dead gophers and moles on my porch, lawn and backyard--
gifts?
It's barbaric, a little impractical for some folks but they are
finally gone.
Barbaric's ok, but it's impractical for my 16 year old cat... I'm pretty
sure a mole is quicker than she.... did you try the used litter 'trick',
or have you heard of it?

yes, that was one of my "green" solutions. *What I've heard work
fairly well are something called SONIC SPIKES. I have a friend who
tried these on his lawn and he claims that they worked. I'd rather use
that than see rodent parts all over my yard.

Interestingly, I read about a guy in the UK, a roboticist, who built
tiny robots--crawlers and threw them down the holes. The little robots
would go in the holes and emit a high-frequency sound in the holes. *I
don't know if those worked but he did get rid of them.

And another guy in Germa ny who shoved steel rods into all the gopher
holes, linked the rods to the city grid, powered them on and didn't
realize that he was standing on wet grass--that was his last idea. *He
didn't get rid of them but at least he doesn't see them anymore.

There are so many ideas... good luck.

I've already tried the 'sonic spikes', as a matter of fact, I now need a
metal detector to find them in the yard. Oh well, I'll keep fishing for
ideas. In a similar vein to your steel rods story, my dad got tired of
squirrels eating the food from his bird feeder, and after various
unsuccessful attempts at keeping them off the feeder, he wired it. I got
to see a squirrel fly about 10 feet when dad plugged it in one morning.
Very big coffee spew. It worked beautifully until SWMBO found the buried
wire and made him disassemble the rig...- Hide quoted text -