Old 20-06-2008, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby[_2_] Stubby[_2_] is offline

Default Getting rid of a mole

"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , J.A. Michel says...

I normally would suggest a gopher "bomb" but when I used one three weeks

ago,
the still-alive-gopher had actually pushed the spent cartridge completely

out of
the hole the following morning. I've used these bombs for years with

varying
degrees of success but this is the first time I've had this happen.

Be careful with "Gopher Gassers". Years ago I was using them. They
weren't working very well and I decided to stuff a ball of crumpled
newspaper in the holes after throwing in a cartridge. That worked better
but the last time(!), the cartridge didn't go in very far and the newspaper
blew out. There were some burning embers which I stomped on to put out,
but the fire spread. Then I got the rake and tried to get rid of the leaves
that were catching on fire. Then, a friend showed up and tried to pull the
garden hose over but it must have been kinked because no water came out.
The fire was spreading and I called the Fire Department. You haven't lived
until you watch your neighbor's family line up next to their pool looking at
the fire in the woods behind their place. The FD put out the fire and hosed
down all the dried leaves. They asked me how it happend and I explained.
He said he had never heard that excuse before and I got the feeling I was
getting off without a fine. He dumped 200 gallons of the remaining water
down the gopher hole. The criters didn't show up for a month, but they did
return.