Old 20-06-2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al Pickrel Al Pickrel is offline

Default Flowering Question

What direction is this window facing?

Very high light but no direct sun. The number one reason a Phal would grow
but not flower is insufficient light. Bright enough to produce light green
leaves that are never warm to the touch. Too dim and you get big dark green
leaves, but no flowers.

I often tell people a south facing window just inside the dark shadow line
with lots of spill over light is good enough to flower a Phal. A north
window would probably be too dim and you would never see flowering. It
would get no direct sun at all and never enough ambient light to help it
flower. In both the east and west facing window you would probably have to
provide some shading from direct sun during the summer months to prevent
burning. All this supposes an unobstructed line between sun and leaf
surface.

Has it ever bloomed before? It may also still be an immature plant. Some
of these large whites get leaf spans like 24 inches across before they
bloom. You can expect that in a group of seedlings, some plants will bloom
while still quite small, like under 12 inches, and others will grow many
years and much larger before flowering even if all other conditions are met.
Some may not have what it takes genetically, for whatever reason, to ever
bloom. It happens. If you continue to do everything right but never see a
flower threaten it with a microwave. This has worked for me.

"Frankie T" wrote in message
I live in New Jersey and keep it on the window sill and it gets about 5 or
6
hours a day we have central air condition and it is cool in the house it
is
in orchid soil which doesn't look like soil but it is orchid soil as per
the
packaging we use orchid food according to packaging again it looks very
healthy but no flowers.
Thanks Again

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Okay, this is a Phalaenopsis (can tell by the name). Please tell us your
growing conditions: where you are, where the plant is, what the temps
are,
etc. Then we can help, and will be glad to do so.

Just as general information, however, Phalaenopsis do not like very sunny
locations, and it is quite normal for them to lose old leaves as the new
ones grow.

Diana

"frankiet" wrote in message
I have 1 orchid plant ( Taisuco Kochdian ) that grows leaves but never
any flowers when a new leaf grows the one underneith the new one dies
there 4 leaves total I feed it with orchid food twice a month and it
gets plenrty of sun but in 18 months it has not flowered.Thanks in
advance