Old 26-06-2008, 01:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Local source for BT...

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:56:00 -0700 (PDT) in wrote:
On Jun 24, 11:23 pm, wrote:
It looks like I may have some squash vine borers and was wondering
if anyone knew of a local source for BT to inject into the vines to kill
off the little *******s.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

Chris, I've never heard of this, but I'm interested.

Bacillus thuringiensis.
A bacteria that kills caterpillars.
GM plants with insect resistance usually have the genes from Bt.

Has this worked for you in the past?

Haven't had to use it in the past, but as long as folks growing
GM crops plant the non-GM buffer zones, it should remain damn effective.

Only one year in 11 have I not had borers take down a crop.
I just replant, since I don't want chemical pesticides in my food. But
I curse as I do it.
;-)

I grew up with my dad using malathion and sevin as needed.
I'm a bit more concerned about keeping bees around.

I've found Bt at farm and garden stores, but I'm south of you. Getting
pretty common these days.

Now, how about those squash bug nymphs??! Any ideas?

non-sythetic pyrethrins are acceptable for use on organic crops.
Rotenone is the main name brands.
They also kill squash vine borers.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a synthetic or non-synthetic pyrethrin
rated for vegetables yesterday, so I swallowed my pride and opted for
bifenthrin.

If you want to make your own, look at abusing chryanthemum flowers and
tansy and feverfew.

As for preventing...

This fall all beds that had curcurbits will have the vines and
roots pulled and burned, they will be cultivated, and cover planted
with something decidedly non-cucurbit, and most likely monocot.
In the spring everything curcurbit will have row covers until just
before female flowers start to open. And for pumpkins and butternuts...
I may just have to get a camel hair brush and pollinate by hand.