Old 06-07-2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Heating new potting soil

In article 1215354146.430988@wblv-ip-nnrp-2,
GQ wrote:

Billy wrote:
Heat new potting soil to 160F for 30 - 40 minutes.

This is interesting, would you care to explain this? I never heat my
potting soil. Does this kill nematodes and other unfavorable noogies?

It shouldn't make any difference. I'm just trying to stop any source of
infection. Normally this is only done with soil used for germination to
combat damping off but, yes, it will sterilize the soil. That leaves
only the seed or the soil on the starter plant as a possible source of
infection, which is why I suggested a new seed packet or a new nursery,
respectively. As I said, my best results from growing basil in a 9b
region, has been in pots. Keep the bruchetta coming;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars