Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default How to stop tree sprouting.

BigKev wrote:
Hi - I have a small maple in the middle of my lawn that has failed to do
anything much and it must go.

If I cut the trunk (which is only a couple of inches thick) to the
base, how do I stop it re-shooting?

I paint the freshly-cut surface of the stump (on saplings, up to 2"
diameter) with full-strength "Brush-B-Gon" herbicide -- the one that has
"triclopyr" as the active ingredient.

If you have 41% or stronger glyphosate herbicide (like RoundUp®) that
works pretty well too.

Both of these chemicals are relatively nontoxic and are broken down in
the soil fairly rapidly.

Or you can just keep mowing down the suckers as they pop up for the next
year or two until the tree eventually gives up.

Bob