Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Banana skins - compostible?

In article ,
Terry Pinnell writes:
| A friend told me recently that you shouldn't put banana skins into the
| compost box, as they take many years to degrade. Was he correct
| please? We've been including them for a long time and I'm sure we've
| not seen any recognisable ex-bananas in our resultant compost.

He is talking nonsense. Like orange peel, if they are left on the
surface, they may dry out and may stay intact until they get buried.
But they don't last long if both damp and uder the surface.

| [Compostible? Compostable? My OED doesn't tell me.]

Nor does mine, but it's compostable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.