Old 10-07-2008, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Banana skins - compostible?

On Jul 10, 4:06*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

* All our bits

of heel, or crust that do not get consumed by us under some other
guise go into our compost heap, which should therefore theoretically
be sterile.

That's supposed to attract rats.

But why waste bread?

Mary

Do you know what? I thought of you as I wrote this, and nearly put a
"Mary" rider, as this is not the first time we talk about waste :-)
We waste as little as we can, but we are a household of 2 people
working long hours outside the home, often with unpredictable days.
As a result, we sometimes waste more than we like, be it bread or
other things - alas.
Regarding rats, I have spent my first gardening year not putting bread
in the compost, and ended up with rats. I then started stirring the
compost religiously every week, and the rats went. I continued
stirring, and putting whatever bread was left over and unuseable into
the compost heap, as I though it was better than the bin. The rats
are now very rare visitors, whereas they used to be a feature pre-
bread.
So go figure. I guess a warm pile of food is bound to be attractive,
especially if it is relatively undisturbed, bread or no bread.

Cat(h)