Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default Snakes are out and about

I was surprised at the number of snakes I used to find in my pine straw.
You'd not even know they were there until you'd turn over the pine straw.

Black snakes (good) will climb ivy and hang out in the gutters or roof of
you house, also. We had a skylight replaced once, and the guy almost fell
off the roof when he pulled the flashing and a blacksnake slithered out. I
have also found them in our bird feeder and have a photo of one eating a
bird he'd caught.

FWIW, we lived near Falls Lake and I once was wading down a creek toward the
lake when I spotted two cotton mouths on a dead tree overhanging the creek.
One "dropped" off a limb and began to swim toward me. Trust me, Jesus
wasn't the only one who walked on water. grin Those two became jelly when
I returned with the 12 ga. and made them into "good" snakes. I should have
taken a photo, because I've been told again and again that they couldn't be
cotton mouths, since Falls Lake is too far north. However, having spent a
summer living in a tent on an island in a Mississippi bayou, I KNOW cotton
mouths and can identify them easily.
--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

"Arwen Long" wrote in message
cpub.duke.edu...
Do you just run into snakes in the grass? I don't have a woodpile or
anything & am wondering what the probability is of running into one...
North Durham area, if it matters.

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Penny Morgan wrote:

Just wanted to make people aware that I found my first baby (12")

Copperhead
Snake on Saturday. My cat was playing with it and it was coiled up with
just its head out of the grass. Make sure you watch your step and wear
shoes in the grass.

I live in N. Raleigh near Mt. Vernon Church and Creedmoor Rd.

Penny