Old 14-07-2008, 05:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Potatoes

"terryc" wrote in message
news
Interesting ABC Landline program last Sunday on Potatoes and itbeing
Internatinal Year of the Potatoe. About 1,700 varieties exists.

Podcast from ABc if interested. Very informative about potatoes role to
solve hunger. china apparently double production last year and becamethe
worlds biggest produce,with Russia now second.

Interesting question; where did the spud originate from?

More interesting why do they only seem to sell 4 varieties in WA and
persist in selling crap Nadine variety. More work should have been done to
increase the yields and strength of Delaware.

We have a Royal Blue variety which is excellent but you have to use them
within a week or they sprout. The supply line of these isn't that crash hot
either where some weeks marble sized potatoes hit the shelves.

Now I know they grow sebago here but never ever do these get sold in fruit &
veg shops. I wonder where they go to. I guess the Potato Marketing board has
it all tied up. Meanwhile we dip out on decent white potatoes.