Old 17-07-2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea V_coerulea is offline

Default Test for Gene

1&3 may actually be the same thing. If Kye "fixes" things, it won't be on
abpo. I believe it will have to be in the form of a new web site kind of in
the format of some of the many "forums" now online. I believe #2 is a good
idea as a temporary solution but it's too tentative. One of these days
rec.gardens.orchids will disappear the same way abpo did and where will we
be then? One of us will have to act as a central posting site and then we're
back to #1. I agree with you on #4. I was just being a bit glum thinking
about this whole thing, like you, having had the rug pulling out from under
me. I came into the group while Kye was still posting a couple of years ago.
Recently he's been inactive which brings out the pessimism in me. Some of
the newsfeeds like Motzarella which feeds all newsgroups or an English site
the feeds just gardening newsgoups (.rec and .alt groups) are viable
alternatives. You have to get used to new formats but they work just like
bellsouth newsfeeds did (do). It's not the site that makes the group, it's
the people. So no matter how you get to the newsgroups we can still be the
community we are now. We just all have to get there. The ISPs have just
broken up our way to the meetingplace, not the meetingplace..If someone
finds the "best" way please let us all know.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
In order:

1. Chris has mentioned the possibility of a new site. But do we really
need it?

2. The *post elsewhere and link here* option is a good idea and has been
mentioned several times.

3. I have faith in Kye. And he does have a *real job*, so I'm willing to
wait.

4. Kiss each other goodbye? Lousy option, IMNSHO. There is too much to be
learned and enjoyed in a community that has cohesed as we have.

5. A fifth option is to join one of the other orchid sites. I'm forgetting
the name of the site now, but there is one run by someone called Marty, I
believe. I have gone there rarely.

For the time being, I vote for option #2. If it ever stops raining here
I'll take some pictures and start posting.

Diana

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
Since we've had the rug pulled out from under us and no way of fixing it,
we need to look for alternate solutions.
1. Some foresighted member can make a new site so we can talk and post as
we have in the past This would take time and money. I don't think most of
us would mind contributing to a good cause.
2. We all upload to our favorite picture site and post links to
rec.orchids which will probably be gone in a year or so and we'll be
right back where we were. Let's face it. All these do-good things the
Big-ISPs do is feel-good comunnity contribution and really doesn't make
them any money or get them any good press.
3. We can all hope Kye is a step ahead of us and things will be fine in a
week to so. It takes a lot of time to put one of these together. Oh, and
did I say money?
4. If we continue to not hear from Kye, we can all kiss each other on the
cheek and say "Nice knowing you. See you sometime soon."
Is there someone with the experience willing to put a site together with
community support?
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Try this.