Old 17-07-2008, 12:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Potatoes

"Loosecanon" wrote in message
Eastern states companies could sell 100 different varities none would get
past quarantine into WA. The AG department and the Potato Marketing board
have it sown up.

mm, that's a point. however, there must be local gardeners or seed companies
who grow others & have been for decades, there simply must be!

Royal Blues are not sold as certified potatoes. The Delaware they sell are
not the same as 30 years ago, I reckon there was a sneaky cross sometime.

As for moving to Sydney nah....

The Landline story was interesting as the Peruvians grow these spuds at
3000 ft above sea level. Not many potato grows at that altitude here.

no but the potatoes we eat now have been extensively developed from the wild
potato & have slightly different requirements most likely. however, speaking
generally, they like altitude as apparently the various blights & problems
they can have occur commonly at low altitudes. iirc(?!) certified seed
potatoes are generally grown at a higher altitude because of this.
kylie