Old 18-07-2008, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B[_2_] Ray B[_2_] is offline

Default Test for Gene

Chris,

The inconvenience is going back-and-forth (even if it is just an Alt-Tab or
Ctrl-Tab), not firing up the browser

wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:40:18 -0400 in
Ray B
wrote:
I'm not fond of the "post a link" option.

Let's run some numbers for you.

From april 11th until june 30th, approximately 90M of photos were posted
to abpo.
On a small photo site those images would consume about 90M of disk
space.
Just by posting those photos to a single standalone news server would
increase that to 120M of disk space.
As USENET is distributed, you then end up with a copy at each site
that carries the newsgroup. Looking at sources of binaries posted to
abpo, that's 8 servers so nearly a gig.
Now to put that in perspective. An active, but low traffic
porn newsgroup would see that kind of activity in a day.
An active, but low traffic tv show binary newsgroup would see that kind
of activity in a minute.

Most picture-posting sites are rather cludgy to move around in, and as
they
require that you load a browser to view them while attempting to have
your
discussion here, are FAR less convenient.

Yes, and yes.
I don't quite follow having to load a browser as inconvenient.
You load the browser and keep it running. You load the news reader
and keep it running, and you switch between windows.
I admit I don't keep up to date on current GUI news reader software.
I run some rather old fashioned news reader software that works
perfectly well with the computer terminals of 30 years ago. But I've also
been
running a terminal emulator that lets me click on a URL and select
copy to clipboard or open in browser for 10 years....

And that goes back to "Pick a couple photo websites that don't suck."
Criteria to consider are things like
1) Can I access any picture I posted with a URL that is 72 characters
at most?
2) Can I copy the URL to my clipboard, tell the browser to destroy
all cookies, exit the browser, start the browser, paste the URL
and have it load without being prompted to sign in to the site?
3) Do the folks running the site attempt to restrict my rights on
my creative content if I post that creative content on their site?

As far as another site that allows both, you'd have to find one that
allows
uploads. Most forums require the URL of a photo in order to view it,
which
is better than posting a link, but is an extra step, therefore a hurdle.
The Orchid Source forum is one site that does allow uploads, but storing
photos takes up room, so becomes expensive, and while it may be
voluntary,
regular participants SHOULD contribute.

Disk is cheap, bandwidth and and colo rental are expensive.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."