Old 19-07-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phyllis Stone Phyllis Stone is offline

Default angel trumpet leaves curling

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:24:01 -0500, "Phyllis Stone"
wrote:

I have an angel trumpet in a large pot. It is 3-4 feet tall and I have had
it a few months. The leaves were quite large but now they seem to be
cupping
under. Kind of like you would cup your hand around something. Even the new
leaves have this odd look. What does this mean? I keep the soil evenly
moist. I live in Houston and it gets afternoon sun but there are some
branches from other plants that overhang a bit. Should I feed more or
less?
I have emailed the person I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.

Do you know what you mean by "angel trumpets?" Are the flowers
upright or hanging down?

I can tell you that if you have datura or brugmansia it is normal for
them to wilt in the hot afternoon and they do not do well in full sun
here in TX at this elevation. Their native place is in the Andes
mountain range where it is moist and cool at night. We get very
little relief in TX at night.

Do NOT over water it thinking the problem is to water it too much. The
other thing it could be is not enough water. In containers these
plants, when grown in TX need to be watered daily in mid-morning.
Sometimes if the container is small, they need two waterings. Again,
wilting is normal. They do this to conserve water.

I think its real name is brugmansia. The flowers are double and they hang
down. I don't think it is wilting because the new leaves have that same
cupped shape. I wish I could take a picture but I can't. The pot is big.
Would it help if I moved it to the shade? This has happened within the last
2 weeks, at first the leaves were very large. I just know I am killing it in
some way.