Old 19-07-2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B[_2_] Ray B[_2_] is offline

Default Oncidium question

No offense Jane, but only 9 in a whole year? You're lagging WAY behind on
the true addiction.

Oncidium Pokie has four species in its background - forbesii, varicosum,
crispum, and marshallianum. As such, it can handle dappled light, but
should be grown on the cool side.

"Jane" wrote in message
I bought an oncidium. According to "Understanding Orchids", it's an
oncidium Pokie "Leuticke's Choice". It does not say what category of
oncidium it is. I probably shouldn't have bought it since I've had
problems with oncidium not blooming before. I just couldn't resist
the small, bright yellow flowers with their burnt orange centers.

The only place I can put it is with my phals. It will get very
bright, filtered morning sun. The phals love it there. What are my
chances for the oncidium?

When should I repot it? There are long, very fine brown roots
sticking out of the holes in the pot. These roots appear to be dead.
The pot is about 3" and the plant is in bloom with many buds. I'd
like to put off repotting while it's in bloom if possible.

Help would be appreciated.

How did I go from one orchid to nine in less than a year?? I guess
I'm hooked.

Thanks

Jane