Old 20-07-2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default How Hardy Are David Austin Roses?

Our Chamblee's Rose Nursery www.chambleeroses.com

Lists David Austin(R) English Roses in zones typically 4-9 some 5-10
and some 4-11

The map they use is the USDA Plant Hardiness zone map - puts
the windy city in zone 5.

So most can handle it there to up to central Wi Westward.

You having -20 to -10 degrees F as a minimum range for zone 5.

I suspect they have rose information on their site and the roses we
picked up from them are wonderful. We are in zone 8.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

John M. Gamble wrote:
I keep seeing in catalogues reassurances that David Austin roses are
tough plants and don't require pampering.

But I remain sceptical about how successful a plant bred in England
can be in, oh just for example, a city built on the edge of the
prairie in the U.S. midwest, where hot and dry days are common.

I live in Chicago. Yes, I know how to use a sprinkler, but
that's not the same as living in England's green and pleasant land.

Does anyone have any experience with these plants in these conditions?