Old 21-07-2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Oncidium question

Jane wrote:
On Jul 20, 1:33 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
With all the potential plants, I'd recommend that you merely think of it as
a "NOID". There really is no way to know for sure.

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

"Jane" wrote in message

On Jul 20, 11:21 am, "Ray B" wrote:
Sorry, Jane. You're the one that lost the bet, I'm afraid.
There are SO many yellow oncidium hybrids, that it is unlikely you will
get
a valid ID from a photo. As examples:
Oncidium Aloha
Iwanagahttp://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_orchids/Oncidium_Aloha_Iwanaga.jpg
Oncidium (Java x
Bijou)http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_or...ava%20x%20Bijo...
Oncidium Sweet
Sugarhttp://www.easyorchids.co.uk/shop/images/T/t_16434.jpg
andhttp://www.chadwickorchids.com/ShoppingImages/onc_sweetsugar2.jpg
and the old classic Oncidium Gower
Ramsayhttp://www.merklesorchids.com/1Images/8JPEGS/oncidium_gower_ramsey.jpg
--
Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com
"Jane" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, Steve wrote:
Jane wrote:
I bought an oncidium. According to "Understanding Orchids", it's an
oncidium Pokie "Leuticke's Choice".
Hi Jane. Is "Understanding Orchids" a book? If I'm understanding you
correctly and you have identified your plant's name by matching it to
picture in a book, I would bet the farm that you have chosen the wrong
name. There may be a hundred other Oncidium crosses that match the
picture in the book equally well. (If your plant came with a tag,
that's
another story.)
How did I go from one orchid to nine in less than a year?? I guess
I'm hooked.
Yeah, probably.
You think now that your space is limited and you can't add very many
more. I used to think that. Then I made a nice shelf in my office that
fits a corner set of windows and I had room for several more. All
set...
for a while. Then I turned on a set of 8 fluorescent tubes in the
basement. All the room I would ever need... until I needed to add a
400
W Metal Halide bulb and some more fluorescents. 12 tubes this time.
Then
the 800 W combo light...
Steve
You loose. I'll tell you where to send the farm.
Yes, "Understanding Orchids" is a book. There is a full color photo
of the exact oncidium that I have. That's how I found the name.
Picture of it he
http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/oncidium.jpg
Damn - I hate it when that happens!
Well, seeing my photo - what strain of oncidium do you think they are?

In general can I treat it the way I do my phals? I water when the
plant is dry and I use orchid fertilizer every time.

You could probably do that and have a good chance of getting it to grow
and bloom. Ideally, compared to a Phal, an Oncidium would like a little
more light and would like to get a little dryer before you water again.
If you fertilize every time you would want to be sure and use a pretty
dilute fertilizer solution, like maybe 1/4 teaspoon per gallon,
depending on how strong the fertilizer starts out. You would also want
to flush out the pots with plain water once in a while. At least once a
month if your water has lots of minerals. Maybe less often if your water
is very pure.

Steve