Old 21-07-2008, 10:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Non-floating Plants Floating Root

"D Kat" wrote in
:

My - I have never had this happen - what kind of soil are you
using?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:50:37 EDT, BB wrote:

That's kinda what I thought might be the issue. I got some topsoil
in a bag (less than $3.00);

Yes, a bag labeled top soil can be anything, as long as it was scraped from
the top layer someplace. You never really know what you're getting.

I use my garden dirt, but I'm 99% sand here on top, 100% sand 3 inches
down. ;-) Thinking of DKat's caution, cloudy water, using your native soil,
you might want to get kitty litter. Hopefully someone can suggest a brand.
Or I also heard that the clay for cleaning oil spills was cheap and worked
well. Again, hopefully someone else can comment on these.

I put strips of weed fabric down on top of my sandy soil and then rocks. I
never have had a lily float off that wasn't helped by a raccoon. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us