Old 22-07-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

In article ,
"Paul J. Dudley" wrote:

Last month ( mid June ) I had applied Seven dust to my grapevine
due to Japanese Beatle infestation. I applied by hand ( gloved ).
I grabbed a handfull at a time and just tossed it across the whole
of the foliage and grape clusters. Here it is mid July and I still
see some rather rich deposits of the dust sitting on the clusters.
As these grapes ( type unknown ) are reaching ripeness they will
no doubt be harvested within the next 2 weeks to make wine. Will
the residual Seven dust pose any health threats at this point ? I've
tried rinsing with a garden hose but to no avail. It is rather "caked"
in some areas. There might have been some moisture on the grapes
when I slung the seven dust causing it to do so.

TIA

Paul

"IF" you get the fermentation to go dry (and only if you get it to go
dry), my guess is that it will be safe to drink. That is because either
the yeast will have metabolized the residue from the pesticide or will
have incorporated it into their bodies (heavy metals). With that in
mind, don't age the wine on the lees ;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars