Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
HDH

Default zero nitrates question

Hi All,
Recently I posted a question and got some replies about cloudy water in my
moderately planted tank. Here was the pic:
http://www.straightlinetech.com/tank30-mar-03.jpg

I'd like to ask now specifically about my nitrates being zero, whether it
has anything do to with the cloudy water, and whether I should take any
action. I read a couple of pages that mentioned adding potassium nitrate,
but since my tank is doing very well aside from the cloudiness, I am
reluctant to add more "stuff" unless I'm really sure it will work.

Tank/Aquarist specs:
My Aquarium Experience: 6 months
55 gallon, established 3 months, fishless-cycled
Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates: all zero
Ph: 7.6
Temp: 77
Water changes: 25% every 10 days
Filtrations: Emperor 400, no carbon, just floss in the media containers.
Stock:
6 Rosy Barbs
4 Gouramis (2 blue/2 gold, ~3")
3 clown loaches (~2")