Old 26-07-2008, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:38*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of
the fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the
weeds? *I am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I
would take a weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup
does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the
Poison Ivy for the summer?

I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

The local gardening expert on the radio tells people that "he can't
recommend it", but Roundup can be mixed stronger than instructed. I
can't recommend it, either.

I don't know why he says he can't recommend it. Right on the label
for the concentrate it has a wide range of concentrations you can mix
it to, from 1% to at least 6%, maybe even 10%, not sure since I don't
have one here in front of me. The recommended concentration depends
on what the target plant is

Which does bring up another factor. At higher concentrations it will
tend to not only kill more hardy plants, but also achieve kill
somewhat faster. At cold temps, I use a higher concentration.

The disclaimer is because he's speculating about (not recommending)
off-label uses. Things like applying it at 100% to tree stumps, or at
50% using a cotton glove to wipe it on to stubborn weeds.

From my reading of the label, it's illegal to use it in non-approved
ways, and by extension illegal to recommend that others do so,
especially if you're a licensed professional.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement