Old 26-07-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Please I need help!!

Ditto here, Jane, I don't know what they are either. But I do have a
question: why is the plant sitting in a dish? Is water pooling there? If you
have anything in bloom, are the flowers spotted in any way?

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I didn't answer because I have no idea what the bugs are. But go ahead and
kill them. [shrug] Why not? I wouldn't want bugs in my house either. I'd
use an insecticidal soap available at any garden center. I'd mix up a
solution and flood it through the pot making sure the medium gets throughly
soaked. YMMV. Please note: I have no idea what the bugs are or why they
are there.

K Barrett
"Jane" wrote in message
I have bugs and I don't know what they are.

I see them in the dish under the pot when I lift it. They are
extremely small. They do not fly or jump. I looked at them through a
magnifying glass and they are dark with antennae on their heads. The
body is long and thin. They can't be more than 1/16" long.

I cannot see them or any damage on the leaves or flowers. I looked at
the top of the potting medium with the magnifying glass and can't see
anything.

Yesterday I saw them in only one plant. This morning there were
dozens in the dish of this plant and a few in the dish of another.

Can this be thrips? The dark bodies make me think they aren't but I
just cannot figure out what they are.

What should I do?